Middlesbrough FC transfer rumours: Leeds set to lose winger plus clarity over Championship striker

Tottenham look set to recall winger Jack Clarke from Leeds United in January due to the player’s lack of game time.

Monday, 23rd December 2019, 6:00 am
Updated Monday, 23rd December 2019, 10:36 am

The 19-year-old flanker came through the academy at Elland Road but was sold to Spurs for around £10million in the summer.

Clarke was immediately loaned back to Leeds but has made just one Championship appearance for Marcelo Bielsa’s side this campaign.

Reports earlier this month claimed both Middlesbrough and Derby were plotting moves for Clarke if he was recalled by Tottenham.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Jack Clarke has made just one Championship appearance for Leeds this season.

And it’s now looking increasingly likely the winger will leave Leeds in January, with Spurs looking to loan the teenager out elsewhere.

Bowyer clarifies Taylor situation

Another player who has been (loosely) linked with Boro is Charlton striker Lyle Taylor.

The 29-year-old will be out of contract at the end of the season, yet it was reported last week the striker had turned down a new deal at the Valley.

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer has since moved to clarify the situation, claiming Taylor’s offer was submitted by current owner Roland Duchatelet.

According to News Shopper, the Addicks’ proposed new owners, East Street Investments, want to tie both Taylor and Bowyer to long-term contracts.

“There’s been a bit of confusion about it,” said Bowyer. “I spoke to Lyle on Thursday, and Lyle did get offered a contract from Roland, but declined that from Roland.

“There was a bit of confusion regarding the new party (ESI).

“Lyle is important to us, so if we can keep him then that will only benefit us as a football club.”

Rangers and West Brom have also been credited with interest in Taylor while Brenford reportedly made a summer bid for the striker.

Darren Randolph latest

Reports concerning Boro goalkeeper Darren Randolph and West Ham won’t go away.

The Hammers are looking to sign a new shot stopper in January to act as back-up for Lukasz Fabianski at the London Stadium.

But while Randolph’s name has been mentioned, the Guardian report a move depends on Boro lowering their asking price.

The Teessiders paid around £5million for Randolph two years ago and are said to want a similar fee.