ALAN Pardew is still hopeful of a transfer breakthrough – with just four days of the window remaining.
Newcastle United have made just one signing so far – loanee Loic Remy.
And Pardew wants another frontline striker – or two more “flair” players – before Monday night’s deadline.
Newcastle’s fans again sung anti-Joe Kinnear and Mike Ashley songs in Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup win over Morecambe.
“Offensively, we need a couple more options,” Pardew said. “We need and would like another striker, or maybe another two flair players in the side, so we are in the market for anybody in that field that we think is going to work for us.”
The club’s lack of spending has angered supporters.
And Pardew – who has had to answer difficult questions about incomings and outgoings all summer – admits it will be a relief when the transfer window finally shuts and he can solely focus on matters on the field.
Recent headlines have been dominated by unsettled midfielder Yohan Cabaye, who is wanted by Arsenal.
“I did think this window would be difficult – with (Hatem) Ben Arfa, Cabaye or Colo (Fabricio Coloccini) or somebody being interested in one of our players,” said the manager.
“Nothing has really surprised me. Having said that, I will be very happy when the window shuts on Monday.
“Hopefully, Cabaye is still here and that we’ve added one or two additions on the offensive front.
“Defensively we look good. We’ve had two clean sheets in the last two games. We still have players to come back in that area.”
Meanwhile, SportMail understands United are not lining up either Geoffrey Kondogbia or Radja Nainggolan as potential replacements for Cabaye, contrary to one report.
Monaco target Kondogbia, 20, has bought out his Sevilla contract and would cost £17.2m, while 25-year-old Nainggolan plays for Calgliari.