JOHN Carver and his Newcastle United players are back on Tyneside – with Alan Pardew’s former assistant expecting to find out imminently whether he will remain in charge until the summer.
United returned from their training camp in Dubai yesterday, and are now set to step up their preparations for next Saturday’s trip to Hull City.
Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley said earlier this week that he would have a “better indication” of where the club were at in their head coach search by the weekend.
And after a day in which two more names were seemingly ruled out of the running, a permanent successor to Pardew is not expected to be appointed until the summer.
Tim Sherwood – who was high up the bookmakers’ lists as soon as Pardew’s departure to Crystal Palace was confirmed – said he was not interested in the role.
Sherwood was not thought to be in serious contention anyway, but said he will be “picky” about his next job, and the Newcastle vacancy did not interest him.
Meanwhile, reports suggesting German Bernd Schuster was in the frame were swiftly denied.
A flurry of bets led to the ex-Real Madrid boss becoming the second-favourite, but he is not thought to be on the radar.
Charnley said earlier this week he would be prepared to wait until the summer to appoint a permanent head coach – with a number of candidates not available until then – and it now seems increasingly likely that will be the case.
Carver last week called for clarity on the situation and laid bare his “frustration”, so it is expected he will be told over the coming days about the club’s plans.
Meanwhile, Loic Remy was yesterday linked with a loan return to Newcastle from Chelsea.
Remy has failed to establish himself as a regular at Stamford Bridge, but a return to Tyneside is thought to be highly unlikely.