Papiss Cisse is gunning for former Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew.
The striker is pushing for a recall to Steve McClaren’s starting XI at Selhurst Park tomorrow.
McClaren, already without injured midfielder Cheick Tiote, admitted he was considering taking summer signing Aleksandar Mitrovic out of the firing line after last weekend’s dismal 3-0 defeat to Leicester City.
The result left United just a point above the Premier League’s relegation zone.
Cisse could be recalled to the starting XI against Pardew’s Crystal Palace, beaten 1-0 by Sunderland on Monday night.
The 30-year-old said: “Every week I go to training, every morning I go to training. That’s my job.
“I like to play football. The manager has a decision, and only I can show him what I can do. I need to show him I am confident, so that I can get a chance to play. I’m waiting, I’m waiting.”
Cisse scored in a 1-1 draw between the two sides at Selhurst Park last season.
Pardew was manager at St James’s Park when Cisse joined the club from Freiburg in January 2012, and he scored all but three of his 42 United goals under him.
Cisse’s only strike this season came in a season-opening 2-2 draw against Southampton.
Asked about Pardew, Cisse said: “I scored a lot of goals for him.
“And earlier this year I went to Palace and scored a goal against him. Maybe that’s going to happen again.”
Pardew left Newcastle at the turn of the year to take charge of Palace, who were struggling near the foot of the league.