JOE Kinnear has walked out of Newcastle United – after a series of transfer window failures.
The club’s controversial director of sensationally resigned from his post at St James’s Park last night.
Kinnear returned to the club he once briefly managed last summer pledging to improve United’s team.
But the 67-year-old oversaw the arrivals of just two players – both on loan.
And Kinnear, a close confidant of United owner Mike Ashley, came under renewed fire from fans in the wake of the club’s failure to replace influential midfielder Yohan Cabaye last month.
Before his sale, Kinnear had claimed that no player would leave the club in the transfer window.
A Newcastle statement read: “NUFC can confirm that Joe Kinnear has resigned from his position as director of football with immediate effect. The club will be making no further comment.”
Kinnear’s exit was welcomed by fans, who had again chanted against him – and Ashley – during Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Sunderland at St James’s Park.
The former Tottenham Hotspur defender had claimed he would bolster United’s squad after making a surprise return in an executive role.
Speaking after his appointment, Kinnear said: “Tell the fans I’m there and I’m going to make their team better than it is now, that’s for sure.
“That’s my message to them. I intend to get the best possible team for the Newcastle fans. It’s as simple as that.”
However, Newcastle’s squad is arguably weaker than it was when he arrived.
The only senior arrivals during his tenure were loanees Loic Remy and Luuk de Jong.
Kinnear said he would have an office at the club’s training ground, but he was rarely seen on Tyneside and he didn’t attend the Tyne-Wear derby.
Relations between Kinnear and key figures at the club are understood to have become strained in recent months.
And Pardew’s frustration at the club’s failure to replace Cabaye was evident after the Sunderland game, though he did not criticise Kinnear or Ashley.
l FENERBAHCE have failed in an 11th-hour bid to sign Papiss Demba Cisse.
Cisse was the subject of a bid from Fenerbahce before Turkey’s transfer window closed last night.
While Newcastle turned down the offer, the uncertainty over the future of Cisse could continue for several weeks.
Rubin Kazan are also reportedly lining up a bid for Cisse, who has found starts hard to come by.
The Russian transfer window does not close until later this month but Pardew will not want to lose the Senegal international.
Cisse – who missed the Tyne-Wear derby with a back problem – could yet have a significant role to play for Newcastle, who are short on firepower.