Leicester City 1 Newcastle United 0: Angry fans hit out at Mike Ashley after limp FA Cup exit

BOOS ... Newcastle fans at Leicester.
BOOS ... Newcastle fans at Leicester.

NEWCASTLE United’s fans turned on club owner Mike Ashley as the club crashed out of the FA Cup this afternoon.

Leonardo Ulloa’s first-half strike gave Leicester City a 1-0 win at the King Power Stadium.

And Newcastle’s 4,319-strong support chanted against Ashley late in what as a dismal game.

The club’s fifth third-round exit under Ashley came just hours after the departure of manager Alan Pardew to Crystal Palace was confirmed.

Caretaker manager John Carver made seven changes for the tie.

Fabricio Coloccini, Daryl Janmaat and Moussa Sissoko stayed on Tyneside, while Jack Colback travelled, but was not passed fit to play.

Davide Santon made his return from long-term injury right-back, and Mike Williamson, Massadio Haidara, Vurnon Anita, Adam Armstrong, Remy Cabella and Haris Vuckic came into the starting XI.

The team selection was questioned by many fans given the importance of the FA Cup to them – and the club’s season.

The only positive was the debuts handed to teenagers Callum Roberts and Lubomir Satka.

Newcastle had an early let off after Tom Lawrence sliced a shot after goalkeeper Jak Alnwick’s punched clearance landed at his feet.

Leicester lost Esteban Cambiasso to injury midway through the first half.

There was controversy in the 32nd minute when Cabella put the ball in the net after Armstrong set him up with a clever backheel.

The strike was disallowed, but TV replays showed that the goal had been onside, and Leicester took control of the tie in the 39th minute through Ulloa, who headed a Matty James shot past Alnwick.

Carver sent on Satka for his United debut as the hour-mark approached – he replaced Santon – and Alnwick kept out a header from Leicester substitute Chris Wood in the second half.

Vuckic had a free-kick deflected wide of Ben Hamer’s goal in the 74th minute, but chances were few and far between for Newcastle.

Leicester had the better of the half, and United’s supporters urged their team to “attack, attack” as the final whistle neared on a miserable afternoon at the King Power Stadium.

Forward Roberts followed Satka on to the pitch for his debut.

And they chanted against billionaire Ashley in the last 10 minutes as Newcastle again meekly surrendered their place in the famous competition.

Twitter: @milesstarforth

LEICESTER CITY: Hamer, De Laet, Morgan, Moore, Konchesky, Cambiasso (Albrighton, 26), James, Knockaert, Nugent (Vardy, 70) Lawrence, Ulloa (Wood, 59). Subs not used: Smith, Simpson, Taylor-Fletcher, Mahrez.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Alnwick; Santon (Satka, 58), Williamson, Dummett, Haidara; Anita, Tiote; Armstrong, Vuckic (Roberts, 79), Cabella; Riviere. Subs not used: Woodman, Bigirimana, , Gouffran, Gilliead, Campbell.

Goal: Ulloa 39

Bookings: Haidara 18, Lawrence 49, Vardy 71, Tiote 82, Satka90

Referee: Lee Mason (Bolton)

Attendance: 23,215 (4,319 Newcastle)