Newcastle United 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1: McClaren’s misfiring Magpies hit the boos as Owls pile on misery

Newcastle's Georginio Wijnaldum tries to get away from Lewis McGugan of Sheffield Wednesday
Newcastle's Georginio Wijnaldum tries to get away from Lewis McGugan of Sheffield Wednesday

Loud boos rang out around St James’s Park after humiliated Newcastle United crashed out of the Capital One Cup to Championship side Sheffield Wednesday.

Lewis McGugan’s 76th minute winner was enough for the Owls to progress to the fourth round at the expense of the Magpies.

It was an awful display lacking any intensity, creativity or cohesion against a Wednesday side 14th in the league below.

The visitors had made 10 changes too but outclassed and outfought a toothless Toon side to dump Steve McClaren’s side out of the cup.

Newcastle, with Siem De Jong leading the line in a 4-2-3-1 formation, had started brightly against a Wednesday side.

Moussa Sissoko almost opened the scoring in the 11th minute but his side-footed effort shaved the outside of the right-hand post to the relief of the 4,800 travelling fans.

But it went quickly downhill from there.

Newcastle lacking a killer ball in the final third and failing to trouble Joe Wildsmith in the Wednesday goal.

For the visitors, Marco Matias volley 16 minutes in thudded into the midrift of Tim Krul.

And the stopper was again involved two minutes later, diving to his left to gather Jeremy Helan’s attempt from the edge of the area as Wednesday grew in confidence.

McClaren was frustrated on the touchline with Florain Thauvin, the Frenchman giving the ball away on too many occasions.

And it almost led to a Wednesday opener in the 27th minute.

The ball eventually falling to Joao but he lost his footing before shooting wide.

There was a mixture of anger and intense headshaking as the game approached the half hour mark when Chancel Mbemba shot from 30-yards, the ball flying out of play for a throw-in.

It was desperate stuff from Newcastle, who were also exposed at the back from Wednesday set pieces.

There was a lack of ideas, cohesion, communication and leadership with Sissoko ending the half by blasting a shot high and wide.

Half-time: Newcastle 0 Sheff Wed 0

Thauvin was unsurprisingly hooked at half-time, replaced by Ayoze Perez while Janmaat was also subbed, with Kevin Mbabu on for his debut.

The changes did little to inspire a more fluid Newcastle attack, with De Jong dropping deeper with Perez leading the line.

Mbabu could have been shown a straight red in the 60th minute after sliding through the back of Matias, referee Christopher Kavanagh showing him a yellow instead.

Newcastle were made to pay for their dreadful performance in the 76th minute.

McGugan’s 20-yard effort too strong for Krul as Wednesday took a deserved lead. Nobody closed him down and he was allowed too much time and space.

And it was almost 2-0 moments later when Wednesday hit the bar twice within seconds.

First Joao saw his effort palmed onto the bar before Sergio Bus smashed the rebound back off the bar.

De Jong shot wide late on and fired another good chance over the bar, while Wijnaldum saw Newcastle’s only shot on target easily saved.

Newcastle were awful and got what they deserved as they were knocked out of the Capital One Cup at the third round stage.

Full-Time: Newcastle 0 Sheff Wed 1

Newcastle (4-2-3-1): Krul, Janmaat (C) (Mbabu, 45), Lascelles, Williamson, Mbemba, Anita, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Obertan (Toney, 70), Thauvin (Perez, 45), De Jong.

Subs: Elliot, Coloccini, Gouffran, Barlaser

Booked: Mbabu (60), Perez (75)

Sheff Wed (4-4-2): Wildsmith, Palmer, Loovens (C), Semedo, Matias (Bus, 65), McGugan, Lees, Wiggins, Helan, Joao (Nuhiu 80), Sougou (Bannan, 86).

Subs: Price, Turner, Lopez, Pudil

Booked: Matias, McGugan

Goals: McGugan (76)

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh (Lancashire)

Attendance: 33,986