Newcastle United may have to wait for Montpellier midfielder Remy Cabella

�12-MILLION RATED: Remy Cabella
�12-MILLION RATED: Remy Cabella

NEWCASTLE United are closing in on a deal for Remy Cabella – but the odds on a move this month have lengthened.

Montpellier’s chairman, Laurent Nicollin, yesterday backtracked after initially claiming Newcastle had struck a deal for the 23-year-old to move between the two clubs at the end of the season.

Negotiations, however, are understood to be ongoing over £12million-rated Cabella.

And United are hopeful of eventually landing the midfielder, who has previously indicated his keenness to see out of the rest of the season with the relegation-threatened Ligue 1 club.

Meanwhile, Paris St-Germain, remain interested in signing Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye in this month’s transfer window.

Sources in France have suggested there has been contact between the two clubs, though PSG have yet to table a formal bid.

It remains to be seen whether Cabaye’s future is linked with United’s interest in highly-rated Cabella.

Cabaye – who insisted he was “happy” at St James’s Park after scoring two goals in Saturday’s 3-1 win over West Ham – is not looking to leave the club this month.

And only sizeable offer from PSG would persuade Newcastle to do business.

United manager Alan Pardew, having presided over the sale of striker Andy Carroll in his second month in charge, admitted after the West Ham win that every player at the club has his price.

“We did not expect Andy Carroll to go, but it was a bid that came out of left field,” he said. “You can never, never say never again.”

Cabella also has his price, and Nicollin, son of president Louis, yesterday told French newspaper Midi Libre that an “agreement” for the France Under-21 international’s sale in the summer had been reached.

Nicollin later retracted his claim, and SportMail understands Newcastle –who are interested in taking Borussia Mönchengladbach striker Luuk de Jong on loan this month – have not yet tabled a formal bid.

However, a deal for a transfer in the summer, when Cabaye is more likely to leave, could suit both clubs.

Nicollin said: “Remy Cabella will be with us until the end of the season. I am in no doubt.”

Montpellier coach Rolland Courbis wants to keep Cabella for the club’s relegation battle.

The immediate priority for Pardew – who has refused to confirm or deny the club’s interest in Cabella and de Jong – is a striker.

And de Jong, previously a target for United during his time at FC Twente, seemingly fits the bill.