Pardew watches as Newcastle U21s lift silverware

CHALLENGE ... Newcastle's Kevin Mbabu in action against Blyth. (Photograph by NEIL SMITH)
CHALLENGE ... Newcastle's Kevin Mbabu in action against Blyth. (Photograph by NEIL SMITH)

NEWCASTLE United’s Under-21s had no problem finding the net at St James’s Park tonight – with a resounding success in the Northumberland Senior Cup final.

Peter Beardsley’s side convincingly beat Blyth Spartans 4-0 to lift the trophy.

Lubo Satka, Michael Richardson, Jonathyn Quinn and Gael Bigirimana were on target for Newcastle in front of a 1,234 crowd, which included a large and vociferous contingent from Blyth, at the stadium.

First-team manager Alan Pardew – whose Premier League side has scored just three goals at St James’s Park this year – was among the spectators.

However, an injury to United defender Jamie Sterry – who was stretchered off – marred the win.

Newcastle dominated the first half, but they couldn’t find a way past Blyth goalkeeper Conor Grant until the 38th minute.

Grant got a hand to a shot from Bigirimana, and defender Satka opened the scoring from the resulting corner.

Greg Olley had an effort saved before the break, and Sterry was carried off after suffering an injury in a 50-50 challenge with Robbie Dale.

United captain Richardson made it 2-0 with a close-range effort as the hour-mark approached.

Newcastle’s Hartlepool-born goalkeeper Jonathan Mitchell denied Daniel Maguire midway through the half.

And 18-year-old Quinn put the game beyond Blyth with 20 minutes left on the clock.

The forward kept his cool to beat Grant after being put through one-on-one, though Blyth felt he had been offside.

Substitute Rolando Aarons played in Bigirimana for Newcastle’s fourth goal with a superb defence-splitting pass, and the midfielder beat Grant with a neat finish.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Mitchell; Sterry (Gibson, 55), Satka, Mbabu, Williams; Barlaser (Aarons, 60), Bigirimana, Kemen, Richardson, Olley; Quinn (Gilliead, 71).

Twitter: @milesstarforth