REMY Cabella jetted into Tyneside to start his Newcastle United career – and pledged to do the club and fans “proud”.
Cabella joined United from Montpellier in a £7million deal last month.
The attacking midfielder returned to his home island of Corsica after signing a six-year deal at the club.
But Cabella – who was given an extended break because of his involvement with France’s World Cup campaign - flew into Newcastle over the weekend.
And the 24-year-old is looking foward to hitting the ground running ahead of the new Premier League season.
“I want to make everybody proud – the fans and the club,” Cabella told SportMail.
“To do that I’m going to give absolutely everything.”
United’s game against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough on Wednesday will come too soon for Cabella, who could have some involvement in the club’s two games in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, at the weekend.
United play Malaga on Saturday and host club Schalke 04 at the Veltins Arena on Sunday.
Cabella last week visited Montpellier to say his goodbyes to his former team-mates.
And he will get to know his new colleagues this week.
Cabella is also getting to know the, having posted a photograph of himself beneath the Tyne Bridge on Twitter on Sunday. He tweeted: “Hello everybody. Enjoy.”
Cabella, the club’s highest-profile summer signing, is confident he has made the right choice, despite outspoken Montpellier president Louis Nicollin’s public attacks on Newcastle.
Speaking after signing, he said: “I am looking to improve all the time, and Newcastle is a well-known, very good club.
“I just love to improve and that’s what I’m here to do.”
Cabella – who went to the World Cup with United’s Moussa Sissoko – played for France’s U21 with another of the club’s summer signings, striker Emmanuel Riviere.
– MILES STARFORTH