Story of the day: Hartlepool United 1-1 Exeter City – Pools drop points at Victoria Park for the first time this season
Hartlepool United were denied a Victoria Park victory for the first time in League Two this season as they drew 1-1 with Exeter City.
Luke Molyneux’s first Football League goal gave Pools a first half lead before Exeter’s Sam Nombe equalised before the break.
The second half saw a few half chances but neither side were able to find the winner as they had to settle for a point.
It's only the third time in 2021 Pools have failed to win a league match at home.
Refresh the page and scroll through our live blog to see how events unfolded…
A message from the Football Clubs Editor
Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Hartlepool United coverage 365 days a year.
This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription to our new sports-only package here.
Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor
FULL-TIME: Hartlepool United 1 (Molyneux 25’) Exeter City 1 (Nombe 41’)
Last updated: Saturday, 25 September, 2021, 18:25
- Hartlepool United, with a newly contracted Dave Challinor, host Exeter City at Victoria Park this afternoon.
- The Grecians sit level on points with Pools in the table but are a place above them due to superior goal difference.
- Pools XI: Killip; Jones, Francis-Angol, Byrne, Hendrie, Sterry; Featherstone, Shelton, Daly; Molyneux, Fondop
- Pools subs: Mitchell, Odusina, Ogle, Smith, Goodwin, Cook, Cullen
- Pools bookings: Byrne (90)
- Exeter XI: Dawson; Caprice, Ray, Jay, Nombe, Key (Edwards 84), Dieng (Atangana 69), Taylor (Collins 56), Brown, Sweeney, Hartridge
- Exeter subs: Lee, Atangana, Collins, Amond, Daniel, Kite, Edwards
- Exeter bookings: Ray (46), Dieng (59)
- Referee: Leigh Doughty
- Attendance: 5,194 (171 Exeter)
Exeter get the second half under way
Will we see more goals in the second half?
The teams are out for the second half
No changes for either side at the break.
Half-time Pools player ratings
Ben Killip - 6
Jamie Sterry - 6
Eddy Jones - 7
Neill Byrne - 7
Luke Hendrie - 7
Zaine Francis-Angol - 6
Nicky Featherstone - 6
Mark Shelton - 6
Matty Daly - 5
Mike Fondop - 6
Luke Molyneux - 7
Half-time verdict from Dominic Scurr
One minute added
45: Matt Jay turns and forces a simple save from Killip
A decent chance for Exeter but Jay can’t quite connect properly as Killip scoops the shot up.
41: GOAL! Exeter equalise
Sam Nombe heads in from close range following Jake Caprice’s dinked delivery from the left. The visitors had been asking questions of Pools since the hosts took the lead.
31: Let off for Pools!
A neat exchange on the edge of the area sees Sam Nombe with a free shot on goal from eight yards out but his angled effort flies over the crossbar. Should have really tested the goalkeeper.
25: GOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! MOLYNEUX
Molyneux picks up the ball one v one against the defender, cuts the ball onto his favoured left foot and rolls it sweetly into the bottom left corner of the goal. 1-0 Pools!