Story of the night: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Hartlepool United – trialists get pre-season run out as Pools beaten at the Brewery Field
Plenty of players got a pre-season run out for Hartlepool United as they were beaten 1-0 by Spennymoor Town at the Brewery Field.
Frank Mulhern’s 10th minute header from Rob Ramshaw’s free-kick was enough to separate the sides. A Pools trialist had the ball in the net in the second half but was ruled out for offside as the visitors pushed for an equaliser.
Trialist Mark Cullen was withdrawn after just five minutes after suffering an injury. Zaine Francis-Angol and Timi Odusina played the full 90-minutes.
Refresh the page and scroll down through our live blog to see how events unfolded...
A message from the Football Clubs Editor
Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Hartlepool United coverage 365 days a year.
This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription to our new sports-only package here.
Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor
FULL-TIME: Spennymoor Town 1 (Mulhern 10’) Hartlepool United 0
Last updated: Tuesday, 20 July, 2021, 21:34
- Pools currently have 15 players contracted ahead of the news season: Ben Killip, David Ferguson, Gary Liddle, Timi Odusina, Mark Shelton, Nicky Featherstone, Joe Grey, Gavan Holohan, Josh MacDonald, Tom Crawford, Jamie Sterry, Luke Molyneux, Neill Byrne, Reagan Ogle, Martin Smith
- Pools starting XI: Killip, Ogle, Byrne, Trialist, Odusina, Trialist, Smith, Trialist, Molyneux, Trialist, Trialist
- Pools subs: MacDonald, Liddle, Ferguson, Featherstone, Crawford, Shelton, Holohan; Trialist, Trialist, Trialist
- Spennymoor starting XI: Trialist, Lufudu, Magnay, Trialist, McLean, Moke, Abbott, Anderson, Ramshaw, Hall, Mulhern
- Spennymoor subs: Chandler, Carter, Lister, Hindson, Thompson, Trialist, Kennedy
- Attendance: 985 (approx 200 Pools)
We’re back under way - two changes for Pools at the break
Tom Crawford and Trialist 18 come on for Trialist 8 and Trialist 11.
Dominic Scurr’s half-time verdict
Half-time at the Brewery Field and Spennymoor deservedly lead through Frank Mulhern’s goal. Pools haven’t really got going so far with set-pieces proving their only real threat. Expect a different side and a more fluid display in the second half with the likes of Featherstone, Holohan, Shelton and Liddle introduced.
Half-time: Spennymoor 1-0 Pools
One minute added at the end of the first half
40: Abbott drags a shot wide from distance
Spennymoor enjoying the better of the game here.
38: Ramshaw blasts the ball at Killip from distance
The Pools goalkeeper gathers the strike at the second attempt.
Pools head wide - not much to shout about so far
A frustrating start for Pools so far
GOAL! Spennymoor lead
Rob Ramshaw’s free-kick is glanced into the left side of the goal by Frank Mulhern. A good header to give the hosts and early lead.
6: Early change for Pools
Trialist number nine is replaced by trialist number 21.