Sunderland midfielder close to exit after weekend talks see deal resurrected

Midfielder  Paddy  McNair.
Midfielder Paddy McNair.

Paddy McNair is on the brink of joining Middlesbrough after a deal was resurrected over the weekend.

Sunderland accepted a bid of just of £5 million last week but the Teesside club pulled out of the running, upset that the player was, in their view, still being offered to potentially interested clubs.

Stewart Donald rejected any potential Sunderland role in that on twitter, saying: “The club hasn’t accepted any bids other than from Middlesbrough. The agent is trying to see what other clubs are interested – I can’t stop that. Sunderland have done nothing wrong.We had an acceptable bid from [Middlesbrough] and said you can speak to the player, nothing more nothing less.”

Talks between McNair’s representatives and Middlesbrough have now got a deal back on track and the 23-year-old is expected to have a medical on Monday.

The Northern Ireland international had initially said that he hoped for a return to the Premier League but having had an opening bid rejected, Brighton & Hove Albion have not returned with an acceptable offer.

Stoke City were close to matching Donald’s valuation but Middlesbrough now look to have all but closed a deal.

Last week, Donald told the Roker Report podcast that he believed the fee Sunderland are receiving to be a fair one.

He said: “There’s an argument about value. Fundamentally, he’s a League One footballer who doesn’t want to play for us, who has been relegated twice, had a bad injury and is coming back from that.

“We said we didn’t want to lose any money on him, and roughly speaking that is where we are.”