Sunderland need to create more says Stephane Sessegnon

ON THE ATTACK Stephane Sessegnon runs at the Newcastle defence. Picture by FRANK REID
ON THE ATTACK Stephane Sessegnon runs at the Newcastle defence. Picture by FRANK REID

STEPHANE Sessegnon admits Sunderland cannot expect to keep their points tally ticking over, if he and his fellow attackers continue to labour.

Sunderland have accumulated a reasonable total of eight points from their opening seven Premier League games and suffered just one defeat in the process – at last season’s champions Manchester City.

Yet the Black Cats are the joint lowest scorers in the division, with just six goals to their name, after the creative trio of Sessegnon, Adam Johnson and James McClean have all failed to spark so far.

Benin forward Sessegnon, again below par against Newcastle United on Sunday, has been unable to rediscover the form which saw him romp to Sunderland’s Player of the Year title last season, although he retains his confidence that the Wearsiders’ attack will come good.

Sessegnon told SportMail: “We’ve continued to pick up points at the start of the season which is the most important thing.

“But it’s clear at the moment that we can still improve a lot. We know that offensively we’ve had a few difficulties this season.

“It’s unfortunate that we haven’t been able to show more going forward over the opening two months.

“But we’ve got to keep our confidence and continue to work hard and I’m sure the goals will come.

“We’re not creating those chances and again on Sunday, neither me or Fletch (Steven Fletcher) saw a lot of the ball, not as many as we’d have liked definitely.

“It’s something we need to improve upon because we’ve not created many chances all season.

“We need to be more dangerous going forward.”