NACHO Scocco has talked himself out of one potential move back to South America after his praise of Newell’s Old Boys put off Boca Juniors.
Boca had been looking closely at Scocco, who has failed to impress at Sunderland since his £3.2m move to Wearside in the January transfer window.
The Buenos Aires giants were expected to firm up their interest, being one of the few South American clubs who have the financial resources to be able to buy him back from the Premier League.
But Scocco has made no secret of his preference to return to his form club Newell’s Old Boys and that desire has been enough to put off Boca, who are believed to have already started to turn their attention elsewhere.
Boca president Daniel Angelici said: “Scocco was in Boca manager Carlos Bianchi’s thoughts, but we did not like to read in the media stating that he prefers to play for Newell’s.
Angelici’s comments would seem to close the door on any potential move, although Scocco’s agent Fabian Soldini refused to rule it out, saying: “If at the close of the transfer market no club has made an offer, perhaps the situation can change.”
River Plate have also been linked with Scocco, but it is Newell’s, the club where he started his career, that he would like to return to if he severs his link with Sunderland.
Earlier this month he said: “If you ask me, I’ll obviously tell you that I want to play for Newell’s.
“Newell’s will always be first in my priorities but this time I can’t move a finger to help Newell’s in a possible negotiation.
“I can only give my opinion if you ask me where I want to go.
“There are things that bother me, for example when I walk through the streets of Rosario and people come to me and say ‘remember you said that in Argentina you will only play for Newell’s?’
“What I am saying is that provided there is a possibility to go to Newell’s, then they will have priority, but if there are no possibilities, obviously I will have to look for second choices.”
Scocco joined Sunderland from Brazilian side Internacional in January and Black Cats boss Gus Poyet was thrilled to capture an attacker he thought could thrill Sunderland fans with his ability to score and create goals.
But so far he has produced little in his half-dozen appearances for the Black Cats to suggest he could be a special talent in English football
Poyet finished last season saying he felt Scocco could go on to show his true quality next season once he had a full pre-season on Wearside behind him.
But the comments Scocco has made inviting South American interest might make Poyet think twice about the striker’s future at Sunderland.
If Poyet does look at potential selling options now in a bid to cut his losses, he might find that Boca, potential buyers, have now genuinely moved on.
Sunderland have been linked with an interest in Fulham’s Costa Rican striker Bryan Ruiz.
It was Ruiz’s goal against Italy on Friday which confirmed England’s early World Cup exit on Friday.
That strike was a moment of sheer joy for the 28-year-old after a disappointing campaign time in his club career.
Bought by Fulham from FC Twente for £10.6m in the summer of 2011 he scored only eight Premier League goals in 51 starts (17 sub appearances) for the Cottagers.
And in January he suffered the ignominy of being loaned out to PSV Eindhoven where he scored five goals in 13 starts (one sub appearance).
Now, the South American appears to be determined to leave the London club who were relegated to the Championship last season and Arsenal and Sunderland the odd couple of clubs to have been credited with interest by the Sunday papers.
Ruiz, who wants to stay in the English game said: “I want to show the English what I am and that what happened at Fulham is not real.”
Relegated Fulham will accept considerably less than the big fee they paid for him but are watching the World Cup closely knowing that a good finals for the striker could see his value increase markedly.