Sunderland youngsters catch first team’s bug

BLANK NIGHT ... Kevin Ball's side couldn't find the target.
BLANK NIGHT ... Kevin Ball's side couldn't find the target.

CYNICS might argue that Sunderland’s Under-21 squad emulated the Black Cats’ first-team last night as they lost 1-0 at home to Southampton.

But that would be harsh on a youthful Sunderland side which kept on going against strong opposition from the south coast.

It was still an evening of very few fireworks from Sunderland though.

Connor Wickham led the line, but was unable to maintain his recent goalscoring form, and Saints were deserving of their win over the course of the 90 minutes

There was little to warm the cockles of Sunderland fans’ hearts on a bitterly cold night, though Kevin Ball’s side did threaten to get back into the game just before and after the hour mark with their best spell of the match.

The home side, though, could have few complaints about the final scoreline, and could indeed have fallen behind as early as the first minute when Connor Oliver’s misplaced pass allowed Sam Hoskins in and the striker dragged his shot across the face of goal from the left.

Sadly, the early stages failed to maintain that opening tempo, and it wasn’t until just before the quarter-hour that Sunderland really threatened the Saints goal – Adam Mitchell’s fine free-kick from the right being cleared to the edge of the area where Jordan Laidler on the left lobbed a shot across goal.

Southampton were direct in attack, and Oliver did well in the 20th minute redeeming himself for his early error with a superbly timed tackle to deny Hoskins in the box.

It counted for little though – from a corner a minute later Lloyd Isgrove centred from the left and big Callum Chambers nodded home too easily inside the six-yard box.

It wasn’t until the half-hour that Sunderland produced a shot on target – Adam Reed’s low effort from the left parried by keeper Chris Johns and hacked clear by a relieved defender..

Five minutes before the break Sunderland had a chance from a free-kick – the ball put in by Adam Mitchell and nodded over the bar by Dave Ferguson.

After the resumption Southampton threatened early from another Isgrove corner, but a far more dangerous move was a Sunderland attack in the 55th when Jordan Laidler headed back across goal from the left and a crestfallen Craig Lynch saw his goalbound header blocked on the line.

Just as good a chance came just after the hour when the flag stayed down with Wickham looking clearly offside.

The striker tried to make the most of it, and worked himself into a good shooting position before absolutely smashing his shot, but it went straight into the chest of keeper Chris Johns who did exceptionally well to hold it.

Sunderland continued to press in that impressive spell. But they could not break the visitors down, and instead it was Under-19 international Jordan Pickford who was the busier of the two goalkeepers as the Sainst finished strongly.

SUNDERLAND: Pickford, Marrs, Ferguson, Oliver, Adams, Mitchell, Gorrin (Armstrong 75), Reed, Lynch, Laidler (Deacon 75), Wickham.Subs not used: Dixon, Harrison, Joyce.

Twitter: @shieldsgazsport