Seaton Carew Rugby Union side pick up hard-won win against Prudhoe and Stocksfield

Seaton on attack
Seaton on attack

SEATON CAREW .......34


SEATON Carew picked up the expected home win against Prudhoe & Stocksfield in Durham Northumberland Two – but were made to work very hard for it.

Initially it seemed that the Seasiders would make short work of the visitors, for Prudhoe were unable to obtain any possession.

In the opening phases, Seaton were held up over the line on no less than four occasions but on the 10th minute Kevin Tumilty broke through to touch down in the corner for an unconverted try.

Seaton claimed the re-start ball and Tumilty drove fully 40 metres to return the play to Prudhoe’s five- metre line.

Over-complicated handling, however, gifted an interception to the visiting full-back, who raced the length of the pitch to touch down between the posts for a converted try to put Prudhoe 7-5 up.

Peter Storey then made good ground to set up Seaton’s next attack and James Lindsay finished it off with a well-taken 17th-minute unconverted try.

Seaton made a hash of the re-start and, from a midfield scrum, Prudhoe moved the ball wide through the hands of their speedy backs to establish a12-10 lead.

There followed a period in which the visitors clearly had the upper hand but they missed two penalty kicks and were unable to add to their score.

Seaton pressed forward once again and, on the half-hour, Liam Pape collected a clearance kick and ran it back into the defending 22. Lewis Humble was in close support to touch down in the corner.

The hosts maintained the pressure for the remainder of the half and a clever tap penalty from Dan Charlton enabled Peter Storey to power over for try number four.

Humble added the conversion to take a 22-12 lead into the interval.

Within minutes of the return to play, Prudhoe turned scrappy ball from a line-out to their advantage and, making full use of their back division, touched down near the posts for an unconverted score.

Minutes later, Murry Stockdale picked up from a midfield scrum and, benefiting from his initial break, deft handling by the backs gave Lindsay his second unconverted touchdown.

Prudhoe broke through once again but a try-saving tackle from Alan Ainsley pulled them up short.

A flurry of cards saw Seaton reduced to 13 men for a period and Prudhoe continued to press.

Seaton’s defence was up to the task, however, and even their six- man scrum was dominant.

The home side eventually broke out of their own half but were unable to manufacture any scoring opportunities until 10 minutes from time.

Opting for a five-metre scrum, Seaton’s pack demolished the opposition and a penalty try was awarded. Humble added the conversion.

Other results: Acklam 27 Consett 5; Barnard Castle P Blyth P; Winlaton Vulcans 5 Guisborough