FC Hartlepool continue their unbeaten start to 2020

FC Hartlepool assistant manager Mark Loynes was delighted to see his side continue their unbeaten start to 2020 with a home win against struggling Coxhoe Athletic.

Tuesday, 4th February 2020, 4:50 pm
Hartlepool FC V Sunderland Juniors FC. Picture by Frank Reid

The bottom of the table club took a shock early lead at Grayfields as Brad Thompson fired them in front inside the opening five minutes of the game.

But a Josh Lloyd goal and braces from Jamie Tumilty and Ash Clark ensured that Terry Hill’s side extended their unbeaten run to a fourth game.

The win also moves Hartlepool to within two points of a place in the top three of the Wearside League table as they turn their attentions towards next Saturday’s visit to Annfield Plain.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Loynes admitted that they blustery conditions at Grayfields made life difficult for his side but praised them for coming through a tough challenge against their struggling visitors.

He told The Mail: “We are obviously very happy with another win and another three points on the board – it’s been a good start to 2020 for us.

“The conditions didn’t help and the wind spoiled the game, so it probably wasn’t a good game to watch for the neutral.

“But we played some good stuff at times.”

Loynes also confirmed that Connor Campbell has returned to the club after a short spell with Northern League Division One side Bishop Auckland.

Billingham Town fell victim to a familiar face as they were beaten at Guisborough Town in Northern League Division One.

Former Town striker Craig Hutchinson grabbed his first goal for the host as the Priorymen took the lead just after the half-hour mark.

Sonni Coleman added a second before half-time and they held on for the win despite Matthew Robinson grabbing a late goal for Town.

Billingham Synthonia left it late to claim at win at Willington as David Dickson’s side moved into the top seven of the Northern League Division Two table.

The two sides looked to be heading towards a goalless draw at Hall Lane, but Daniel Boyle and Alex Bruton both found the net in the last four minutes to snatch all three points for Synners.