Everything you need to know about sick pay during coronavirus pandemic

Citizens Advice Hartlepool is still operating and working to help people affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

With all our lives affected by the outbreak, manager Joe Michna is offering his expertise to answer questions on a series of issues from accommodation, and employment rights, to scams and more.

In this advice piece, he answers a variety of questions people may be asking themselves about sick pay.

Am I entitled to sick pay if I catch Covid-19?

Joe Michna of Citizens Advice Hartlepool.Joe Michna of Citizens Advice Hartlepool.
Joe Michna of Citizens Advice Hartlepool.
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

If you are employed and get coronavirus you will get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from the first day you are off ill.

You will not have to give your employer proof you are ill for the first seven days. After that your employer can ask to see a fit note to prove you are too ill to work.

Do not ask your GP for a fit note but call the 111 online Coronavirus Service.

What if I’m not sick but self isolating?

If you are not ill but are following government guidance to self-isolate and cannot work from home, you will be entitled to SSP.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

You can get an ‘isolation note’ for your employer from work on the NHS website or app.

Who qualifies for Statutory Sick Payment?

Employees are legally entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from your employer providing you are sick for four full days or more in a row and earn on average at least £120 a week before tax.

You are still entitled to SSP if you work part-time or on a fixed term contract. Agency and casual workers may be entitled to SSP until their assignments end.

People on zero hours contracts are also eligible.

If you are not entitled to SSP your employer should give you a SSP1 form.

How much do I get?

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

If you are entitled to SSP you can get £98.85 a week for up to 28 weeks. Your contract of employment might also say that you are entitled to contractual sick


What if my employer refuses to pay?

Contact the HMRC employees enquiry line on 0300 2003500.

For further advice contact Citizens Advice Hartlepool on (01429) 408401, 0300 330 9005, or email [email protected] and [email protected]

Read More
Read more: Advice service still there for residents during outbreak

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you