Prince Philip has been transferred to St Bartholomew’s Hospital for treatment for an infection, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.
The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on 16 February as a precautionary measure. His admission is not related to Covid-19.
Moved for testing and observation
After almost 14 days, Philip is now being moved to a different hospital to undergo testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.
The Duke was shielded from public view as he left King Edward VII’s hospital in central London on Monday (1 March) morning where he had been receiving treatment.
Umbrellas were held up as he made his way into a waiting ambulance, at the rear of the hospital, and was taken to St Bartholomew’s Hospital, also in central London.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.
“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”
Philip is just three months away from his 100th birthday and was initially admitted nearly two weeks ago for a few days as a precautionary measure after feeling unwell.
His previous longest stay in hospital was in 2013, when he had an operation on his abdomen.
Last Tuesday, the Earl of Wessex said Philip was “a lot better” when it was announced he would spend several more days in hospital being treated for the infection.
Edward said his father was “looking forward to getting out” and the family were keeping their “fingers crossed”.
Ongoing health problems
Prince Philip has suffered with a number of ailments over the years, including being treated for a blocked coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire in December 2011.
Later in June 2012, he suffered from a bladder infection which forced him to miss the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
A year later in June 2013, he had exploratory surgery on his abdomen and began to use hearing aids in 2014, at the age of 93.
The Duke later pulled out of a Battle of Jutland anniversary event in june 2016 citing a minor ailment, which was followed soon after by his retirement from public duty in 2017.
Prince Philip also spent four nights at King Edward Hospital in December 2019, where he was treated for a “pre-existing condition”.
He was later discharged on Christmas Eve and was driven to Sandringham to spend Christmas with the Queen.