Crawley Town 0 Hartlepool United 0: Match report, Pools clinch point

Hartlepool United extended their unbeaten run to four matches with a hard-earned point at Crawley Town.

Saturday, 19th March 2016, 3:58 pm
Updated Saturday, 19th March 2016, 4:06 pm
Jake Gray goes forward: Picture by FRANK REID

It was a drab affair, which only livened up when Nathan Thomas hit the home bar in the 56th minute.

Crawley missed the chance of the game with the last play of the game when Sonny Bradley headed wide from three yards when it looked easier to score.

To say the match was lacking in excitement would be an understatement.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It took 20 minutes for the first crack at goal, Nathan Thomas going close with his left foot from 20 yards.

Thomas was at it again within 30 seconds, seeing another shot deflected for corner, only for Jake Gray's flag-kick to be too heavy.

Ten minutes from the break, another Gray corner was not great and Lewis Hawkins'shot from outside the box hit the fans in the Bruce Winfield Stand behind Paul Jones's goal.

There was finally some threat from Crawley in the 36th minute, Gwion Edwards crossing and Lyle Della-Verde heading harmlessly wide.

Two minutes later Della-Verde shot over the bar from 21 yards, but Trevor Carson's goal was in no danger.


Crawley 0

Pools 0

The second half was equally drab but it did come to life on 56 minutes.

Pools put together a good move with Gray unable to connect with a delicious low cross into the six-yard box.

But the ball fell to Thomas whose right-foot strike hits the crossbar.

Pools did their best to gift Crawley the lead when they gave the ball away on half-way, giving the hosts a 2v1 situation.

However, Carson made a superb save from Edwards and then got to the rebound first to claw it away for a corner.

Crawley made a double change on 68 minutes, bringing on Simon Walton and Shamir Fenelon and Fenelon wreaked immediate havoc in the away box but Pools were able to scramble clear.

Pools almost caught Crawley on the break 15 minutes from time, Hawkins clearing to Thomas who fired wide after multiple step-overs.

There was a late chance for Pools when Thomas was hacked down in stoppage time by sub Walton who was booked for his protest.

Pools sub Brad Walker sqaw his free-kick saved by Jones and the midfielder put his follow up over the bar.

And there was even later drama when centre-half Sonny Bradley headed wide with the goal at his mercy with the last play of the game.


Crawley 0

Pools 0

Crawley: Jones, Oyebanjo, Ashton, Bradley, Dunne, Edwards, Bond (Walton 68), Sutherland, Della Verde (Tomlin 81), Harrold, McAlinden (Fenelon 68)

Subs: Walton, Barnard, Preston, Young, Fenelon, Deacon, Yorwerth

Booked: Walton 90

Pools: Carson, Magnay, Bates, Jackson, Carroll, Featherstone, Gray, Hawkins (Walker 84), Thomas, Paynter, James.

Subs: Bartlett, Walker, Bingham, Oates, Woods, Richards, Laurent

Booked: Carroll 31

Referee: David Coote

Att: 1,883 (away 202)