Drunken Hartlepool woman bit bar manager’s hand during fracas in social club

A drunken woman bit a bar manager’s hand when he tried to split up a fight in a Hartlepool social club.

Monday, 15th March 2021, 12:03 pm
Updated Monday, 15th March 2021, 12:08 pm

Vicky Willingham, 32, bit the man’s left hand hard during the incident at the Catholic Club in Marlowe Road, Teesside Magistrates Court heard.

The victim had to go to hospital for treatment and have injections to protect against possible infections including hepatitis.

His wife had reported two women fighting inside the ladies’ toilets at around 11.15pm on Saturday, February 29, last year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hartlepool Catholic Club, in Marlowe Road, Hartlepool.
Hartlepool Catholic Club, in Marlowe Road, Hartlepool.

Alan Davison, prosecuting, said: “He went in and saw two ladies grabbing each other by the hair.

"They were separated by releasing their grip on each other and [the victim] tried to lead Miss Willingham out of the toilet.”

She grabbed him pulling a gold chain from his neck and snapped buttons on his shirt.

Mr Davison added: “He pushed her to the wall and both slid to the floor. She bit him on his left hand.

"He said she bit down with such force it broke all the layers of skin and he had to pull his hand out her teeth to release her grip.”

The victim went to the University Hospital of Hartlepool where the wound was cleaned and dressed and he received injections.

Read More

Read More
Hartlepool drug driver stopped by police just three weeks after ban for drink dr...

Shop worker Willingham, of St Abbs Walk, Hartlepool, admitted actual bodily harm.

The court heard she was a woman of good character.

Her solicitor, Colin Sleeman, read a reference from her work manager which described her as hard working and a devoted single mother to her children.

District Judge Timothy Captstick said the bar manager was “simply doing his job” when Willingham assaulted him, causing a “nasty” injury.

But he added: “Given what I have read and heard I treat this as a one-off incident when you had too much to drink.

“You are highly regarded at the place where you have worked for eight years.

"On the other hand I have to sentence you for this assault. I have seen photographs of the injury that he sustained.”

Willingham was ordered to pay the bar manager £250 compensation.

She was also given a six month community order and a six-week tagged curfew between 7pm and 5am.

Support your Mail and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest on Pools and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.