Hartlepool dad could have died after being kicked like a football up to 50 times in attack

A man kicked and stamped on a dad dozens of times after a row over childcare boiled over causing life-threatening injuries.

Thursday, 18th March 2021, 4:46 pm

James Harll, 32, launched a ferocious attack on the victim who had been looking after his young child from a previous relationship with Harll’s partner.

Teesside Crown Court heard how Harll attacked the dad after being called to collect the child early because they were unwell.

But Harll complained it had spoiled their night out and followed the victim inside his home where he attacked him.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

James Harll was jailed for causing grievous bodily harm with intent and actual bodily harm.
James Harll was jailed for causing grievous bodily harm with intent and actual bodily harm.

Robin Turton, prosecuting, described how Harll punched the man numerous times to the head knocking him to the floor.

"The defendant shouted and screamed and began to stamp on [the victim’s] head and body,” said Mr Turton.

"Even when [the victim] told him he had broken his ribs the defendant continued his assault.”

The man’s last memory before losing consciousness was of Harll pulling back his leg as if to kick a football.

James Harll was jailed at Tesside Crown Court.

The victim’s mother heard the commotion and found Harll kicking her son all over his body.

Mr Turton said: “Forty to 50 times she said and stamping very hard 25 to 30 times.”

Read More

Read More
Two more arrests after woman is injured when car drives at her in Hartlepool

It was said the neighbours could hear the walls vibrating loudly, such was the severity of the attack.

Harll also kicked the victim’s mum several times as she tried to protect her son.

He suffered multiple injuries including six fractured ribs and was put in intensive care.

Mr Turton added in the opinion of the doctor who treated him the injuries were sufficient to kill him if had not been for quick medical intervention.

The attack also left him scared to leave his house.

Harll, of Holland Walk, Hartlepool, was jailed for six year and three months after admitting grievous bodily harm with intent and actual bodily harm in the attack on August 30 last year.

Ian Mullarkey, mitigating, said it was not planned adding: “The defendant deeply regrets his conduct.

"He’s ashamed of himself and struggles to face up to the hurt that he’s caused.

"He is a changed person since this incident.”

Mr Mullarkey added Harll being in prison would have a significant impact on his family.

Jailing him, Judge Howard Crowson said: “The medical evidence tells its own story does it not.”

Support your Mail and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest on Pools and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.