Hartlepool man had over 200 indecent images of children on phones

A Hartlepool man who was caught with more 200 indecent images of children including videos showing the worst kind of child abuse has been spared prison.

Thursday, 11th March 2021, 5:11 pm

Police were led to the home of 29-year-old Robert Orley on suspicion the disgusting images were being posted on the internet.

Teesside Crown Court heard they found no evidence of that during their inquiries last July.

But they discovered 205 indecent images on two mobile phones belonging to Orley.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police found over 200 indecent images of children on two mobile phones belonging to Robert Orley, 29.

They included 58 in the most serious legal category of which three were videos.

One video was 10 minutes long and depicted a young victim being sexually assaulted.

Prosecutor Jon Harley said: “As an overview the images and videos in general involved females between the ages of 10 and 16 involved in sexual behaviour.”

Orley, of Lancaster Road, Hartlepool, was interviewed twice by police but made no comment both times.

He later pleaded guilty to three charges of possessing indecent images of children when the case reached court.

Mr Harley said the age of the children in the images and distress they were shown to be in were aggravating features.

Sean Smith, defending, said in mitigation that Orley had no previous convictions or cautions and admitted his guilt at the first opportunity.

He added his client had paid for and taken a treatment course himself.

Mr Smith added: “One might think he’s an ideal candidate for rehabilitation.”

Judge Howard Crowson said Orley’s family had been ‘shocked and appalled’. But he said with their and others support he had recognised the seriousness of the offence.

Judge Crowson added: “What you appreciate... is that whilst it is sometimes the case that people watch these videos and persuade themselves that they are in no way at fault because the image already exists and the child has already been caused the harm, the reality is that you perpetuate this type of offence.”

Orley was given eight months prison suspended for 12 months and must sign the sex offenders register for 10 years.

He was also made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order for the same duration to monitor his behaviour including phone and internet use.

His two phones were also ordered to be destroyed.

Read More

Read More
Burglar who crept into Hartlepool home while occupant slept spared jail

Support your Mail and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest on Pools and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.