Man jailed after woman knocked unconscious in row outside Hartlepool nightclub

A woman was knocked unconscious following an altercation outside a Hartlepool club – a court heard.

Friday, 6th December 2019, 6:00 am
Updated Friday, 6th December 2019, 2:16 pm
The case was heard at Teesside Magistrates' Court in Middlesbrough. Copyright: Google Streetview
The case was heard at Teesside Magistrates' Court in Middlesbrough. Copyright: Google Streetview

The incident happened in the early hours after one of the defendants, Kalem Lodge, was evicted from Skyy Lounge in the town.

Lodge, 30, who appeared at Teesside Magistrates’ Court via a video link from HMP Durham, admitted assaulting Carla Beevers causing actual bodily harm.

Joe Langley, 28, of Spurn Walk, Hartlepool, admitted a charge of common assault on Carla Beevers.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Saba Shan, prosecuting, said the incident happened at around 3.30am on January 12 outside the Avenue Road venue.

She said: “Staff monitoring CCTV contacted the police after seeing an assault and a female unresponsive on the pavement. The two suspects have left the area following the assault.”

Reading from a victim statement, taken following the incident, she said: “Ms Beevers says this whole incident has left her extremely stressed.

“I am sitting in the house more and this is affecting my children.

“I have not returned to the town centre since it happened. I might never go for a night out again.”

Defending, Stewart Haywood, said the altercation started after Lodge was thrown out of the club and pushed to the floor by door staff while Ms Beevers was standing nearby.

He said: “For some reason that nobody knows she decided to become involved in the incident.”

Mr Haywood said the injured party had drunk eight vodka and cokes and was clearly under the influence of alcohol.

He said a group of people started being verbally abusive to the defendants and it resulted in Langley pushing Ms Beevers away.

Mr Haywood said there followed a verbal back and forth by Ms Beevers and Lodge which resulted in him grabbing hold of her and pushing her to the floor where she hit her head and was knocked unconscious.

He said: “He never, in any way, shape or form, intended to cause the injury.”

Mr Haywood said both men were very remorseful for their actions.

Lodge was ordered to serve 18 weeks in prison and pay £200 in compensation. Langley was fined £80 and ordered to pay £25 compensation, £40 costs and a £30 surcharge.