On-off partner of Blackhall dad John Littlewood tells court of days leading up to the discovery of his body

The partner of John Littlewood has said he would “do anything for anyone” as she described her concerns for him in the days leading up to his death.

Wednesday, 17th March 2021, 5:08 pm
The trial into the death of John Littlewood, known as John D, is ongoing at Teesside Crown Court.

Julie Muir was involved in an ‘on-off’ relationship with the 36-year-old and found him dead in his bed at his home in Third Street, Blackhall Colliery, on the evening of Tuesday, July 30, 2019.

Marty Lee Bates, 31, and Tracey Amanda Bunney, 45, of Tenth Street in the village, deny Mr Littlewood’s murder between Friday, July 26, and Wednesday, July 21, 2019.

Donna Balfour, 36, of Ninth Street, denies perverting the course of justice between Friday, July 26, and Friday, August 2, 2019, and witness intimidation on Monday, July 29.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The couple had broken up the week before his death, but Ms Muir went to his home when he could not be contacted, stating she had a "feeling in the pit of my stomach something wasn't right", the court heard.

Others – including Bunney and Bates – told her they had not seen him either in the days before she found his body.

Read More

Read More
Blackhall dad John Littlewood was 'murdered in his own bed with a hammer' and no...

Ms Muir described how kindhearted Mr Littlewood was, and said: “He would do anything for anyone, he was that kind of person, and he if couldn’t get it done himself, he would get it done for you, that’s what he was like.”

She also told police Mr Littlewood, who was known as John D, had moved from drinking cans to vodka and drunk to the point he could not stand.

She was aware he had pills and had seen him taking cocaine, telling police she did not like him being involved in substances or want them near her family.

Ms Muir said his personality had “totally changed” and they broke up because of his “lies.”

She knew Bunney as the defendant had previously gone out with her nephew and said Bunney and her partner Bates would argue often.

She told police she wasn’t aware Mr Littlewood had been assaulted by Bates on the Thursday before his death, but recalled Bunney and Bates rowing.

At the close of the interview said she had no idea who murdered Mr Littlewood.

The trial continues on Monday.

You can subscribe to this website and enjoy unlimited access to local news, information and puzzles online.

With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Simply click ‘Subscribe’ in the menu.