Down but not out .... Pools put on a show to '˜Bury' the opposition

Life was not exactly running smoothly for Pools in January 1972.

Friday, 19th January 2018, 9:02 am
Updated Friday, 19th January 2018, 9:05 am
Veart hits the back of the net to grab Pools second of the day.

They were struggling in the bottom two of the old Fourth Division and the next visitors to Victoria Park were Bury, a team sitting comfortably in the middle of the table.

But Pools found their form in the first half of a game fought out in an icy wind, albeit in front of just over 2,000 fans.

Plenty of reason to smile.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

In the fourth minute, Pools went close when Veart fed Young whose shot was just wide.

Bury were soon on the attack with Bill Green holding firm at the back for Pools. A to and fro start was changed on the 15th minute. The threat from a Pools corner looked to have fizzled out but Smith rushed in to grab the ball back for the home team.

His cross found an unmarked Neil Warnock who only had to tap in from close range.

If anything, the opener pepped up Pools more than Bury and they tore into the visitors. A frenzied scramble in the goalmouth saw Smith fire over.

Plenty of reason to smile.

But the 1-0 scoreline only lasted until the 22nd minute. Pools went 2-0 up when a long clearance by Goad set Veart on the chase for the ball. He beat one Bury defender and cut past another before firing for goal.

Keeper Forrest seemed to have it covered but the ball was deflected by Eccleshare past the keeper and just inside the post.

Pools were on a roll and it was 3-0 on the 24th minute.

Ward crossed from a right wing corner and Green headed it down for an uncovered Veart to fire home his second.

Bury tried to fight back and former Manchester United player Connelly put in a cross which Green tried to clear. But his effort only saw the ball hit the post and go out for a corner.

But Pools were on the attack once more and Warnock broke free – only to be brought down from behind in the penalty box. The referee, though, waved play on.

The once hard pitch had become slippery as the snow took effect and players were finding it difficult to keep their feet.

Bury could not take advantage of the game’s slowing pace and could only manage a consolation goal in the 83rd minute when Tinsley jabbed the ball home from close range to end the match 3-1 to Pools.

Hartlepool: Hillyard, Potter, Goad, Dawes, Green, Smith, Ward, Sharkey, Veart, Young, Warnock. Sub: Ellis.

Bury: Forrest, Tinney, Sailo, Parry, Eccleshare, McDermott, Connelly, Rudd, Jones, Murray, Hamstead. Sub: Tinsley.

Referee: V. James (York).