Murder accused girl tells of attack on Hartlepool woman

A teenager who denies murdering frail Hartlepool woman Angela Wrightson told a court how she and her co-accused savagely beat the victim in her own home.

Thursday, 10th March 2016, 12:49 pm
Updated Thursday, 10th March 2016, 12:56 pm
Angela Wrightson

The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said she didn't think they had killed her because people "only die when you get cancer, shot in the head or stabbed in the heart".

Two girls, aged 13 and 14 when Ms Wrightson was killed at her home in Stephen Street, Hartlepool, in December 2014, are on trial for murder at Leeds Crown Court.

Ms Wrightson suffered more than 100 different injuries after being attacked with a variety of household items.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Giving evidence, the older girl, who is now 15, told how she and the other girl were drinking in Ms Wrightson's home when violence flared.

Under questioning from her barrister, Jamie Hill QC, the girl told how Ms Wrightson had stood up but her co-accused ordered her to sit down.

She said: "(Younger girl) stood up and, y'know the wooden table? (Younger girl) told me to pick that up with her, so I did".

Giving evidence via videolink, she added: "I got hold of two bottom legs and (younger girl) got hold of the other two. Then we hit Angie with it. I think it was in the face.."

Asked by Mr Hill how many times they hit Ms Wrightson with the table, the girl replied "twice or sumat, I think".

The girl also described how her and her friend kicked Ms Wrightson in the face before the younger girl kicked a television set onto her head and then began hitting her with a wooden stick.

The defendant also said that her co-accused was "shouting" at Ms Wrightson, saying "she deserved it".

When asked by Mr Hill if she had "meant to hurt" Ms Wrightson during the assault, the girl replied: "Yeah, but not really bad though. I knew that I was going to hurt her but I didn't mean to. I was just getting told to do it."

Both girls were captured on CCTV leaving Ms Wrightson's home just after 11pm..

When asked by Mr Hill if she thought Ms Wrightson might be dead because of the injuries inflicted on her, the older defendant said: "I didn't think that she would die of that.

"When I was 14, I thought that you could only die when you got cancer, or when you got shot in the head or stabbed in the heart.

"That's what I thought when I was 14."

The pair returned to Ms Wrightson's home at 2am, at which point the older girl said the victim was awake, bleeding heavily from the top of her head and mumbling.

The older girl said: "When me and (younger girl) were sat on the couch. I was looking at Angie's head and she was talking but I couldn't understand a word she was saying.

"I said we need to ring an ambulance but that's when (younger girl) rang the police."

The court hear earlier tat both girls were picked up by the police at 4am.

Ms Wrightson's body was found the following morning by her landlord.

When asked by Mr Hill how she felt about "the fact that Angela is dead," she replied: "I just feel like hurting myself loads and trying to kill myself.

The two girls deny murder.

The trial continues.