Parrot dies as pet dog and owners escape blaze at ground floor flat in Hartlepool

Three people and a dog managed to escape a flat fire in Hartlepool during the early hours – but a pet parrot lost its life.

Friday, 6th September 2019, 12:51 pm

Cleveland Fire Brigade received a call at 3.38am on Thursday, September 5 reporting a fire in a Hartlepool street.

Crews descended on Mulgrave Road in the town where they found a ground floor flat on fire. Appliances from both Stranton Fire Station and Billingham Fire Station were sent to the scene.

Three people managed to escape and a dog was rescued from the blaze by the firefighters.

The flat on Mulgrave Road has suffered smoke and heat damage

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Crews used six breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, a positive pressure ventilation fan and a thermal camera to tackle the fire.

A spokesperson for Cleveland Fire Brigade said: “There has been 50% fire damage and 100% smoke and heat damage to the property.”

The three people who escaped the fire were not seriously injured.

All three people in the flat managed to escape