Parrot dies as pet dog and owners escape blaze at ground floor flat in Hartlepool

Three people and a dog managed to escape a flat fire in Hartlepool during the early hours – but a pet parrot lost its life.

Friday, 6th September 2019, 1:51 pm

Cleveland Fire Brigade received a call at 3.38am on Thursday, September 5 reporting a fire in a Hartlepool street.

Crews descended on Mulgrave Road in the town where they found a ground floor flat on fire. Appliances from both Stranton Fire Station and Billingham Fire Station were sent to the scene.

Three people managed to escape and a dog was rescued from the blaze by the firefighters.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The flat on Mulgrave Road has suffered smoke and heat damage
The flat on Mulgrave Road has suffered smoke and heat damage

Crews used six breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, a positive pressure ventilation fan and a thermal camera to tackle the fire.

A spokesperson for Cleveland Fire Brigade said: “There has been 50% fire damage and 100% smoke and heat damage to the property.”

The three people who escaped the fire were not seriously injured.

All three people in the flat managed to escape