“Nothing left” of ex-Marine's family home after second fire reported at the Wingate property

Emergency services were called to a second fire at an ex-Marine officer’s home in Wingate.

Friday, 19th March 2021, 4:03 pm

A second fire has broken out at an ex-Marine officer’s home, just 24 hours after the family’s house, car and caravan were set alight in a suspected arson attack on Thursday, March 18.

Kevin Miller, who started a JustGiving page to help his former colleague Sean Ivey and his family said in a post on the fundraising page there is ‘nothing left’ of their family home after it was hit by fire a second time.

Durham Constabulary have confirmed officers were called to reports of a second fire in the early hours of Friday, March 19.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A roof was damaged in the suspected arson attack

Durham Constabulary said in a statement: “Police were called to reports of a fire at an address on Taylor Grove, Wingate shortly after 1am this morning (March 19).

“Fire investigators from County Durham and Darlington Fire & Rescue service as well as officers are currently on scene and enquiries are ongoing.”

Durham Fire and Rescue service have said three crews from Peterlee and Seaham attended the scene and left at 3.20 am

No arrests have been made in connection with the second fire. Peterlee Police said on Thursday that a 22-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson.

Windows were smashed during the suspected arson incident.

Ex-Marine Sean Ivey spoke of his terror after he and his family had to flee their home on Thursday morning when the first fire broke out while they were asleep.

The father-of-two said the family escaped before the blaze told hold at the property.

Mr Ivey said: “Luckily we all escaped the fire but it could have been a lot worse, there was so much smoke and the flames just kept getting bigger, it was awful.

"We can’t believe it, we are so distraught and upset that this has happened to our family.”

More than £30,000 has been raised so far for the family.

Organiser Kevin Miller said on Friday: "We really need to push this and build on the amazing support that has been shown so far.”

Kevin originally set a target of £2,000 but so far more than 1,250 people have contributed to support the family.

Police have confirmed that Fire investigators and officers remain on the scene as enquires into the incidents continue.

Read More

Read More
£30,000 raised for ex-Marine and family following suspected arson attack