Decision due on affordable home plan for Hartlepool after delay over crime concerns
Councillors are to make a decision on plans for a new 31 home affordable housing development after delays over anti-social behaviour worries.
Hartlepool Borough Council planning committee was due to make a decision last month on proposals for 31 two and three bedroomed homes to be built over two separate plots of land off Lealholm Road in Hartlepool.
Planning officers had recommended the plans for the affordable housing, submitted by Applicant Engie Ltd in association with housing provider Thirteen, were given the go-ahead.
However after hearing from an objector raising crime concerns at the meeting in April councillors voted to delay making a decision to carry out a site visit to the area.
A decision will now be made at the planning committee meeting on Wednesday, May 8.
Speaking at the previous meeting, resident Mrs Oliver who lives near the proposed site, voiced concerns over anti-social behaviour which have plagued the area, especially under its former name of Keith Road.
She said: “We have had no trouble for the past 20 years.
“They can’t promise us the anti-social behaviour isn’t going to start again. Our neighbours are now living in fear they are going to go through what they went through 20 years ago and I don’t think that’s fair.
“The police are saying that it’s low for crime but it’s not. Why destroy something that has lasted for the last 20 years? Why develop in an area where you can’t control people you already have in?”
The Mail previously reported in the year 2000, 47 houses in the former Keith Road were knocked down after problems with drugs, burglary, intimidation and properties falling into disrepair.
Marian McDonald, on behalf of Thirteen Group in favour of the application, also spoke at the previous meeting, and said they were committed to providing safe neighbourhoods in the area.
She said: “The development of 31 properties for affordable rent represents a significant investment in Hartlepool from Thirteen.
“By working closely with our neighbourhood teams we commit to developing high-quality safe neighbourhoods for our residents.
“The development would bring a currently vacant area of land back into use and contribute to the long term sustainability and regeneration of the Seaton Lane area in particular.”
The homes would be built over two parcels of land to the south east and south west of Newholm Court, directly east and west of Lealholm Road, which is split into two cul-de-sacs, with no through road connecting them.
A decision will be made by the planning committee at its meeting at the Civic Centre at 10am on Wednesday, May 8.
Nic Marko , Local Democracy Reporting Service