Update on 220-home housing development off Elwick Road in Hartlepool
Plans have been approved to make amendments to proposals to provide 220 new homes in Hartlepool, which will see the development delivered quicker and with a selection of bigger homes.
Proposals were previously approved for the 220 home residential development to be built off Elwick Road known as ‘Quarry Farm Phase 2’.
However Barratt Homes North East had since lodged proposals to replace 69 of their properties in the development, with David Wilson Homes house types, dividing the site between the two brands.
Councillors on Hartlepool Borough Council Planning Committee unanimously approved the alterations at Wednesday’s meeting.
Amy Ward, planning manager at Barratt David Wilson Homes North East, explained how the move would have numerous benefits to both the council and residents, and help provide a ‘strong street scene’.
She said: “The introduction of our David Wilson houses will further complement this high quality design, adding architectural diversity to the site, enhancing the overall design and expanding the housing offer on site.
“David Wilson homes are slightly larger than our Barratt houses, with the main difference being the internal specification of the houses.
“A further benefit of adding David Wilson houses onto the site is the opportunity for us as a company to dual brand the site.
“This has a massive benefit in terms of the build up of the site, as it enables the quicker delivery of houses, both a benefit to us and to Hartlepool Council meeting housing targets.
“But also to surrounding residents, as it effectively means we’ll be finished building on the site a lot sooner.”
She added the majority of the David Wilson houses proposed are four-bedroom properties, although they will bring a small number of five bedroom houses onto the site.
She also noted the site will continue to be complemented by landscaping, ponds, play parks and walkways through the latest alterations.
Entrance to the housing development is off Reedston Road, and it is currently under construction.
Two objections were submitted to the alterations from residents, along with a response from Hart Parish Council, which reiterated their opposition to the development.
They said: “Hart Parish Council wishes to restate its strong objection to the proposal to develop a further 220 dwellings between Quarry Farm and Worset Lane.
“Although we accept that outline permission has already been granted for the overall development, never-the-less, [parish] councillors remain deeply concerned about the impact occupiers of these new homes will have on the inadequate road infrastructure in this area of the borough.”
Previously councillors approved a reserved matters application to build the 220 homes in January 2020, despite 40 objections and a petition featuring more than 100 signatures.
The approval of the latest proposals is subject to updated section 106 legal agreements being finalised.