New twist in bid to build new Hartlepool homes

A decision on a bid to build 14 new homes has been delayed.

Saturday, 17th April 2021, 1:32 pm

Yet it was said at last Wednesday’s meeting that the plans had been removed from the agenda by the applicant, meaning no decision was made.

The plans, from applicant Graham Anderson, were previously approved by councillors in 2017, subject to a legal agreement securing planning contributions, which the applicant had agreed to pay at the time.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The proposed site off Summerhill Lane, Hartlepool. Pic via Google Maps.

However since then the applicant contacted council officers and said they were unable to pay the required contributions, which were previously agreed following a viability assessment.

The costs totalled more than £230,000 and would have included contributions towards education, sporting facilities and the Elwick bypass.

Ahead of the meeting, a report from council senior planning officer Jane Tindall had recommended the proposals were refused by councillors due to the financial planning contributions no longer being in place.

She said: “It is considered that the principle of the development in this instance is unacceptable as the development would represent an unsustainable form of development without securing the requisite planning obligations.”

The site is accessed from Catcote Road, and is next to Summerhill Visitor Centre.

A planning statement submitted by Kingfield Developments in support of the application stated the proposals would provide much needed housing for years to come.

Read More

Read More
Plans for 50 new homes in Hartlepool get the go-ahead despite concerns from resi...

Support your Mail and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day.

With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.