Today is National Dog Day - here’s how you and your pooch can celebrate
National Dog Day takes place every year, with people celebrating everything they love about their pooches.
But when does it take place, how did it come about and what are the best ways to celebrate?
What is National Dog Day?
National Dog Day is celebrated all over the globe on 26 August each year.
It was founded in 2004 by pet and family lifestyle expert, animal rescue advocate, and dog trainer, Colleen Paige.
The date of 26 August is significant as it marks the day when Colleen's family adopted their first dog "Sheltie" from an animal shelter, when Colleen was 10 years old.
The National Dog Day website explains, “National Dog Day celebrates all dogs, mixed breed and pure. Our mission is to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year and acknowledges family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort.”
How can I celebrate?
If your dog loves hugs and attention, you can simply celebrate by giving your four-legged friend lots of affection on National Dog Day.
You can also celebrate the day by sharing pictures of your pooch on social media, expressing the best things about them and why you love them so much.
Alternatively, you could donate toys, blankets and food to animal rescue centres, to show love to the pooches who have yet to find their forever home.
If you have friends that also love dogs, or have dogs themselves, you could send a dog-related gift to them, or some doggy treats for their pooch.
You could even throw a little party for you, your household and your pooch, perhaps with your dog’s favourite treats and toys.
If you have any neighbours or friends with pooches, but they’ve got a hectic day or are feeling under the weather, you could offer to take them for a walk with your dog, helping them out and allowing your pooch to spend time with doggy friends.
If there’s a doggy play park, or if your dog has a favourite spot such as a park or field, you could take them there on National Dog Day.
If the weather isn’t great and you’re indoors with your dog, you could even practise their tricks or teach them a new one as part of bonding time together.
Alternatively, give your pet a pamper day by brushing their fur and perhaps giving them a bath and washing their fur.
Colleen Paige, founder of National Dog Day adds, “All a dog wants to do is love you and be loved by you. Dogs are amazing, courageous, sensitive and sentient beings that deserve compassion and respect.”
Best quotes about dogs
- If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers
- "The dog lives for the day, the hour, even the moment" - Robert Falcon Scott
- "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one is a life diminished” - Dean Koontz
- "The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be” - Konrad Lorenz
- "No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich” - Louis Sabin
- "Be the person your dog thinks you are” - C.J. Frick
- "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive” - Gilda Radner
- "Opening up your life to a dog who needs a home is one of the most fulfilling things you can do” - Emma Kenney
- "Dogs are our link to paradise” - Milan Kundera