Hartlepool boxer Savannah Marshall 'gutted' as world title fight delayed again by Covid

Hartlepool female boxer Savannah Marshall says she is gutted her world title fight this weekend has been called off after her trainer tested positive for Covid-19.

Wednesday, 14th October 2020, 3:25 pm
Updated Wednesday, 14th October 2020, 3:51 pm
Savannah Marshall (left) in action.

Savannah, 29, had been due to take on Scotland’s Hannah Rankin for the WBO World Middleweight title on Saturday, October 17, in Peterborough.

But on Wednesday it was announced that Marshall’s trainer Peter Fury had tested positive for the virus meaning those around him must now isolate for 14 days.

Savannah took to Twitter to give her reaction to the bad news saying: “Gutted to say the least. Two world title fights cancelled due to Covid.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Good news @peterfury is fit and well and @Team_Rankin doesn’t have to wait too long for her good hiding as we have asked for it to be rescheduled ASAP”.

Event promoters Matchroom Boxing said in a statement: “Unfortunately Savannah Marshall’s trainer Peter Fury has tested positive for Covid-19.

"Saturday’s WBO World Middleweight Title fight is off the card.

"All other fighters and teams tested negative.

"The fight will be rescheduled in due course and our best wishes are with Peter.”

Peter Fury said on Twitter: “It’s very regrettable that’s it (sic) tested positive for Covid-19. Good news

“@Savmarshall1 tested negative.

"However due to the restrictions around a positive test, everyone must quarantine for 14 days. But [hope] to reschedule ASAP”.

Savannah, who used to box for Headland Amateur Boxing Club, has been waiting since February for her shot at a world title.

She was originally due to fight Brazilian-born New Zealander Geovana Peres for the WBO Light Heavyweight Championship on April 4 until the nationwide lockdown happened.

It was postponed until June 27, then rescheduled again to this Saturday with new opponent Hannah Rankin for the vacant WBO Middleweight championship belt.

The bout, which was originally due to take place at the Utilita Arena in Newcastle, was also moved to the East of England Arena in Peterborough to be fully compliant with Covid guidelines.

Savannah, who is now based in Manchester, recently told the Mail she was confident of beating Rankin.

She is currently undefeated in eight professional fights. An amateur she became first British female world champion in 2012 and represented Great Britain in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

Read More

Read More
Read more: Calls for Hartlepool United fans to be let in to ground to cheer on h...

A message from the Editor:

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to the Hartlepool Mail website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit here to sign up. You can subscribe to the newspaper with 20% off here.

Thank you.