Gavan Holohan lifts the lid on Hartlepool United team spirit and how it's helping fuel promotion bid
The togetherness and team spirit within the tight-knit Hartlepool United squad is helping fuel their promotion push.
That’s according to Gavan Holohan, who has lifted the lid on the positive mood within the camp at Pools, second in the National League ahead of Saturday’s huge clash with play-off rivals Notts County, who sit fifth.
Holohan said: “I think we’re due a big night out with all of us and hopefully it can be a promotion party at the end of the season!
"Sometimes you get lucky where you have a group where everyone is pulling in the right direction and other times you may have a handful which go against the grain, that’s just part of football.
"We’ve been lucky this year and we’ve got a squad where it’s disappointing for the players who aren’t playing as much but they’re still contributing massively every day in training.
"Everyone is pushing in the same direction and hopefully we can achieve our goal of promotion.
“We’ve been able to share the goals and take the pressure off Lukey up top.
"We’re still confident he’ll get many more but we’ve got people who can score and create all over the pitch and if it keeps us winning games then happy days.”
Meanwhile, Brian Barwick is to step down from his role as chairman of the National League at the end of the season.
The move comes in the wake of heavy criticism of the way that the National League has dealt with the Covid-19 pandemic over the last 12 months.
Last week brought news that National League South clubs Dorking Wanderers and Maidstone United had asked the league’s 66 member clubs to support a vote of no-confidence in Barwick and the National League board.
A report in The Times on Tuesday suggested Barwick was set to bring an end to his six-year tenure as chairman and the news was officially confirmed in a statement released on Tuesday afternoon.
In the statement Barwick said: “After careful consideration I formally told the National League Board in February that I intended to step down at the end of the 2020/21 season.
“I think it is the right time to relinquish the role - and give somebody else the great privilege of leading the organisation.
“Since 2015, I believe the competition has continued to grow in stature and profile, sent strong clubs up into the EFL and built up a formidable and loyal set of commercial and broadcast partnerships.
“Our 66 clubs remain the life-blood of our competition and a vital part of their local communities - and that’s what makes our League so special.
“I also acknowledge just how tough it has been for many of our clubs over the past twelve months facing the unprecedented challenges brought on by the Covid pandemic.
“In closing, I would like to thank my National League Board colleagues, the League’s executive, our commercial partners, the wider football family and, most importantly, our member clubs for their warm welcomes and support over the past six years.
“I will continue to commit myself to the well-being of the National League until the end of the season.
“And, of course, I wish my successor as Chair and everybody connected with the National League my very best wishes for a brilliant future.”