Hartlepool United midfielder Luke Williams is set to undergo an operation which will keep him out for up to FOUR weeks.
The player has not kicked a ball for Pools since signing on the dotted line back on August 23.
A bout of tonsilitis, then a knock, which on further inspection has turned out to be a medial ligament problem in his knee, has seen him miss more than a month of Pools’ National League season. And Matthew Bates has confirmed the player will go under the knife next week, after a scan last week revealed the extent of the damage.
“We had him scanned on Friday. We tried to get him involved on Thursday - he started the session but lasted 10 minutes,” said Bates.
“He needs an operation, which he will hopefully have next week.
“I say operation and it makes it sound really serious. It is not. We have spoken to a consultant and he has said he will be out for four weeks.”
Bates was disappointed with the prognosis.
He continued: “We feel like we have missed two weeks from when we could have possibly got him scanned but didn’t.
“It is disappointing for not only me, the fans, the club but most importantly Luke.
“He has been champing at the bit to get in. He has just bene really unlucky that since he signed he has not been able to train, but that’s football for you.”