Hartlepool United knock back deadline day move for in-demand Michael Woods

Nicky Deverdics.
Nicky Deverdics.

Hartlepool United knocked back deadline day moves for in-demand Michael Woods.

Stevenage and Exeter City were both keen to land 27-year-old Woods before the close of last night’s 11pm transfer window closure.

But, despite Pools current financial predicament, the club refused to let the player depart.

It is understood no club put a cash deal on the table for Woods, although a number did propose to take the former Chelsea and Leeds United on a free.

And while that would have freed up wriggle room in the budget, cutting costs yet further, it is not something Pools considered, given that they still have aims to see out the season and give manager Craig Harrison all the tools to stave off the fear of relegation to the National League North.

Pools lost Jonathan Franks last month, with the winger on trial at Scottish Premiership outfit St Johnstone.

Tomi Adeloye’s contract ended and was unable to be renewed, while Keith Watson returned north of the border at the completion of his half season loan.

Another player who Pools knocked back advances for was Blair Adams.

The Mail understands the player was being eyed up by a League Two club, but Pools were in no mood to strip their squad further.

Meanwhile, Nicky Deverdics’ move to Wrexham earned cash-strapped Pools £10,000.

The midfielder joins the Welsh outfit for an undisclosed fee, although the Mail understands it was around £10,000.

Deverdics joined Pools in the summer of 2016 and went on to make 63 appearances for Pools, finding the net four times.

This season, the 30-year-old has also been used as a left-back by boss Harrison.

A Pools statement said: “The club would like to wish Nicky every success in his future career.​“

Deverdics played against Wrexham 10 days ago as Pools lost 3-0 at Victoria Park.

Wrexham are believed to have beaten National League rivals Eastleigh to the signature o the Newcastle-born wideman.

Elsewhere, Pools’ hopes of a deadline day windfall fell flat after Trevor Carson’s move to Celtic broke down.

In the summer the club got just £10,000 up front for the Northern Irishman when he left for Motherwell, but head of recruitment Paul Watson made sure a 40% sell-on clause was inserted in the deal.

And with Craig Gordon injured, Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers was keen to land cover in the shape of Carson.

The Hoops saw bids of £200,000 and £375,000 rejected for the keeper.

Instead, though, Celtic turned their attentions to another Scottish Premiership stopper, with Dundee’s Scott Bain, cancelling a loan spell a Hibernian to sign on at Parkhead.