FC Hartlepool assistant manager Mark Loynes looking forward to 'a big couple of weeks' in the Wearside League

FC Hartlepool assistant manager Mark Loynes looked forward to a “big couple of weeks” after his side moved up to third in the Wearside League table with a win at Annfield Plain.

Monday, 10th February 2020, 3:54 pm
Updated Monday, 10th February 2020, 3:54 pm
FC Hartlepool (red) v Coxhoe (blue) at Grsayfields Sports Fields.

The hosts had the better of the opening 45 minutes at a blustery Derwent Park, but the deadlock remained in place at half-time.

Whatever was said in the away dressing room during the interval clearly made an impact as Hartlepool took control of proceedings during the second-half.

Jamie Tumilty continued his impressive form as he put his side ahead just after the hour-mark and a fine individual goal from Kieran Voss doubled the lead on 69 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And Matty Gardner rounded off an impressive second-half display when he completed the scoring with 18 minutes left on the clock.

After the game, Loynes told The Mail: “We have 13 points from a possible 15 to start the new year, so we are obviously very happy with the form that the lads are in.

“It wasn’t a great game to be honest and the first half as bad as we have played for a while.“There are big couple of weeks coming up as we head to a new ground next weekend in Farringdon detached and then there is the small matter of a local derby against Horden CW.

“The aim now is to finish the league strongly as we build for next season.”

Billingham Town fell to a 2-0 home defeat against Ryhope CW in Northern League Division One.

The visitors were already a goal ahead through a Brad Hird penalty by the time Town’s James Frazer was shown a red card for a strong challenge on David Vincent.

Ryhope made the most of their man advantage as Robbie Bird sealed the win with a second goal with just under quarter of an hour remaining.

Billingham Synthonia produced a stunning display with a 6-0 win at Newcastle University in Division Two.

Danny Earl and Alex Bruton both scored twice for Synners and there was a goal apiece for Matthew Wilson and Daniel Boyle as David Dickson’s men moved to within a point of the promotion places.