Story of the night: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Hartlepool United – trialists get pre-season run out as Pools beaten at the Brewery Field
Plenty of players got a pre-season run out for Hartlepool United as they were beaten 1-0 by Spennymoor Town at the Brewery Field.
Frank Mulhern’s 10th minute header from Rob Ramshaw’s free-kick was enough to separate the sides. A Pools trialist had the ball in the net in the second half but was ruled out for offside as the visitors pushed for an equaliser.
Trialist Mark Cullen was withdrawn after just five minutes after suffering an injury. Zaine Francis-Angol and Timi Odusina played the full 90-minutes.
Refresh the page and scroll down through our live blog to see how events unfolded...
A message from the Football Clubs Editor
Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Hartlepool United coverage 365 days a year.
This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription to our new sports-only package here.
Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor
FULL-TIME: Spennymoor Town 1 (Mulhern 10’) Hartlepool United 0
Last updated: Tuesday, 20 July, 2021, 21:34
- Pools currently have 15 players contracted ahead of the news season: Ben Killip, David Ferguson, Gary Liddle, Timi Odusina, Mark Shelton, Nicky Featherstone, Joe Grey, Gavan Holohan, Josh MacDonald, Tom Crawford, Jamie Sterry, Luke Molyneux, Neill Byrne, Reagan Ogle, Martin Smith
- Pools starting XI: Killip, Ogle, Byrne, Trialist, Odusina, Trialist, Smith, Trialist, Molyneux, Trialist, Trialist
- Pools subs: MacDonald, Liddle, Ferguson, Featherstone, Crawford, Shelton, Holohan; Trialist, Trialist, Trialist
- Spennymoor starting XI: Trialist, Lufudu, Magnay, Trialist, McLean, Moke, Abbott, Anderson, Ramshaw, Hall, Mulhern
- Spennymoor subs: Chandler, Carter, Lister, Hindson, Thompson, Trialist, Kennedy
- Attendance: 985 (approx 200 Pools)
Full-time verdict from Dominic Scurr
Full-time: Spennymoor 1-0 Pools
Close from Pools!
Shelton slides in Trialist #18 who just scuffs the ball wide of the right post.
Holohan fires wide!
Josh MacDonald finds Holohan who half-volleys wide of the right post from 20-yards. Decent chance.
MacDonald looking lively
Frank Mulhern and David Ferguson are involved in an altercation following a strong challenge from the Pools man. The referee speaks to both of them but takes no further action.
75: Ramshaw fires over
Big chance for Spennymoor to make it 2-0 on the break but Ramshaw shoot over when it would have been easier to score.
59: Pools hit the side netting
Trialist 18 hits the side netting from close range.
Pools make their changes
Every player makes way except Tom Crawford, Timi Odusina, Zaine Francis-Angol and Trialist 18.
Trialist GK, Gary Liddle, David Ferguson, Nicky Fetherstone, Josh MacDonald, Mark Shelton and Gavan Holohan come on.
50: Mulhern’s free-kick tests Killip
It’s a well hit strike but Killip is able to tip it over.