Marvin Johnson contract twist as Neil Warnock explains Middlesbrough's position on players set to become free agents

Neil Warnock says Marvin Johnson doesn’t have a one-year option to extend his Middlesbrough contract and that the winger’s future will be discussed at the end of the season.

Saturday, 10th April 2021, 6:30 am

The 30-year-old flanker penned a one-year extension to stay at Boro last summer after impressing in the final eight games of the 2029/20 campaign.

Warnock had previously said he thought Johnson, who has made 36 league appearances this season, had an additional year option, yet it now seems that isn’t the case.

When asked by the Mail if Johnson does have a one-year option, Warnock replied: “No, he hasn’t. I thought there was one in it but I don’t think there is an option in it so he’s one of those that we’ll have a chat with at the end of the season.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Middlesbrough winger Marvin Johnson.
Middlesbrough winger Marvin Johnson.

Ashley Fletcher, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and goalkeeper Jordan Archer will also be out of contract this summer, while Marcus Bettinelli, Neeskens Kebano (who has one year left on his contract at Fulham) and Yannick Bolasie will see their loan deals end.

Forward Britt Assombalonga is also set to become a free agent and Warnock has admitted the striker will leave the Riverside.

Boro’s scouting and coaching team have already been assessing potential transfer targets, with a new striker the priority.

When asked about the players who will be out of contract at the end of this season, Warnock said: “I’ve had enough conversations in the past, I don’t have any more. I’ll look at the six games, and then either I’ll make decisions or the players will tell me anyway and we’ll move on.

"Obviously, I’m always looking at players that we can bring in, expecting players that are out of contract to leave. That’s what I expect. If it changes and things are different, then so be it.”

When quizzed about putting plans in place to replace players leaving, the Boro boss added: “We’ve already been putting plans in place and looking for players who could replace players who will leave.

"Striker wise, we’ve probably been looking for 12 months – and we’re still no nearer getting one.”

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Middlesbrough coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription to our new sports-only package here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor