One arrest made as police investigate alleged racist abuse at Hartlepool United match

Police investigating alleged racist abuse at Saturday’s home game between Hartlepool and Dover have confirmed one man was arrested during the match.

Monday, 23rd September 2019, 4:22 pm
Scenes from the match on Saturday

United manager Craig Hignett and his opposite number at Athletic, Andy Hessenthaler, said they discussed taking their players off the pitch after the alleged racist incident.

Now police have confirmed a 43-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated public order during the match on Saturday, September 21.

He has been released under investigation, while inquiries continue.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And a 60 year old man was reported for summons after he allegedly encroached the pitch during the game.

A police statement said: “Cleveland Police continues to work with managers and players from both clubs as our inquiries continue and officers expect to identify more people in relation to the alleged racist incidents and disorder.

“We would reiterate that racist behaviour and other disorder at football matches is completely unacceptable and we work with football clubs across the UK, as well as the wider community, on this issue.

“The force will use all available tools including football banning orders to deal robustly with the small minority who persist in taking part in deal with the minority who take part in this behaviour.”

Some supporters were angry after Dover striker Inih Effiong scored a 36th minute penalty.

Both club managers and the Hartlepool United Supporters Trust have hit out at alleged racist abuse.

Hartlepool United chief executive Mark Maguire said in a club statement: “I can honestly say that I have never witnessed a game of football like that, but it is important that we separate our reaction to the game, and the officials, to the events following Dover’s first goal.

“Whatever the rights and wrongs of the decision, or the aftermath to the penalty which was scored, Hartlepool United utterly condemn racist behaviour of any description.”