Fears growing over Hartlepool United's youth set-up as youngsters reportedly attract interest from Newcastle United, Sunderland, Leeds United and Wolves

Fears are growing over the future of Hartlepool United’s youth set-up as reports have emerged that it is set to be cut.

Tuesday, 7th July 2020, 5:23 pm
Updated Tuesday, 7th July 2020, 5:23 pm
Hartlepool United's youth team could be dismantled as part of the ongoing budget cuts at the club.
Hartlepool United's youth team could be dismantled as part of the ongoing budget cuts at the club.

Pools have been making several budget cuts since the shutdown of the 2019-20 campaign with the youth team set-up likely to be the next area to be subject to cost-cutting measures.

Dave Challinor previously hinted that youth funding would be cut next season as questions as to whether the set-up would become unpaid or cut entirely emerged. The uncertainty has left a whole squad of youngsters in the dark regarding their futures at the club.

But this week, TEAMtalk reported that the club’s set-up is set to be cut entirely, leaving a host of promising players available to move.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

According to TEAMtalk, Joe Grey, Brad Young, Harrison Webster, Connor Rennison and Luke Chapman are now amongst those set to leave.

Nottingham Forest, Wolves and Leeds United are thought to be amongst the clubs looking at Webster.

Barnsley, Charlton Athletic and Leeds are rumoured to have expressed an interest in signing Rennison following his release.

Last week Challinor said that goalkeeper Young, who had previously attracted interest from Chelsea, remains under contract and part of his plans for next season.

“He’s still a Hartlepool player, he’ll be with us in pre-season but we need to put a plan together because this coming season may be too soon for him,” he said.

On Grey – who is rumoured to be attracting interest from Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesbrough – Challinor said: “Joe is still on his scholarship contract so we've had conversations with his agent and there’s some uncertainty about how the youth aspect of the club will run next year moving forward.

“There has been some external interest in Joe but he has signed a two-year scholarship contract so if someone was interested in taking him then there would be a compensation figure to pay or it would go to a tribunal.”

Sources close to the players have suggested that Hartlepool are yet to formally communicate its youth set-up intentions.

The club has been approached by The Mail following the latest reports but no further comment has been made, though an update is expected by next week.